SCK-3900-512X32H-01

koyanagi.ele  Apr 25, 2014

Thank you for your continued support of Noritake Co., Inc. and its full line of VFD modules and services. Please help us by taking a few minutes to tell us your findings about our product you have received.

We appreciate your business and want to improve our products to meet your expectations.

We are pleased to offer a free sample of Ethernet board with Lantronix Xport and sample program to communicate via TCP/IP as thanks for your feedback.

[lanPort_325x1501] 

Number of Items are limited, we send these samples “First come first serve basis”. Please submit your sample request by May 30, 2014.

Please provide us with the following feedback:

1. Did you have problem getting started with the module?
  2. How did you connect the display with your device
  3. What did you use the display for?
  4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?
  5. What type of commands would you like to see?
Please insert any images or videos to the post.

steve howe  Apr 25, 2014
  1. Did you have problem getting started with the module?  my only problem was finding a connector for the module. it would have been helpful to include just the connector to get started.
  2. How did you connect the display with your device - serial connection
  3. What did you use the display for? gps coordinates display, time display, prototyping
  4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?  used on arduino and udoo, arm and i.MX6
  5. What type of commands would you like to see?  just some to display strings, scroll, nothing really new
this is a nice bright large module that seems to work quite well.

PedroDaGr8  Apr 25, 2014

1) It was a bit unwieldy at first. I had some issues being a bit of a novice programmer. My guess is that for the more advanced programmers it was a bit difficult.
2) Serial
3) I attempted to make a long scale data logger. Showign a variety of values averages and a chart. I suceeded at everything but the chart
4) Arduino
5) Simple graphing would be nice [biggrin] More than anything, more example code for novices to dig into. Maybe better explained example code. Something that helps novices like myself or people even more novice than me get going.

Chankster  Apr 25, 2014
  1. Did you have problem getting started with the module?  I agree that finding the proper connector was difficult. Would be nice to have either bare headers or pin holes where we can use our own header
  2. How did you connect the display with your device? Serial
  3. What did you use the display for? Currency conversion and output for a Bitcoin Box
  4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use? Raspberry Ii
  5. What type of commands would you like to see? Honestly I'd just like to see more non-windows support.  The screen layout tool is somewhat useful but windows only

tjb1  Apr 25, 2014
  1. Did you have problem getting started with the module? Like the others said, the initial wiring was a little difficult but once I got past that it was pretty smooth sailing
  2. How did you connect the display with your device? Serial
  3. What did you use the display for? Display for reflow oven
  4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use? Arduino
  5. What type of commands would you like to see? Graphing would help to display reflow profiles and easier to understand examples

freile  Apr 25, 2014
  • 1. Did you have problem getting started with the module?
I had a little trouble getting the display hooked up at first as no connector that I had on hand was quite right. I waited a week meaning to get the connector and then finally just took a few minutes and got something that would work to fit.
  • 2. How did you connect the display with your device
Serial connection initially. I believe it could be parr
  • 3. What did you use the display for?
It is currently displaying the status for an HPLC system so that it can be monitored from across a lab at a glance.
  • 4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?
It was initially hooked up to an msp430. It is now hooked up to a Windows NT machine. There maybe an intermediary but I am not by it now and it was actually set up over the last weekend by someone else.
  • 5. What type of commands would you like to see?
Off hand I remember having some level of difficulty getting multiple bar graphs to display and change with new data. I finally limited it to 4 graphs with one per user window and it worked. It now shows many more but that may be through a parallel connection to the HPLC PC.

I tried very hard to increase the user-screens past the limit of 4 but was not about to work it out at the time. Up to 8 or so would be nice.

Nice and simple font modifiers are always welcome. We could use a lot of subscript and superscript fonts to improve the readability of the status if it was simple to use these modifiers. I tried defining new fonts that were the modified versions that we would need but the was a communication issue with the data from the system being interpreted correctly when we did that. We went back to the previous method of no modifiers. This whole problem could have been a problem with our opaque system.

tlink  Apr 25, 2014

• No.  Have used many Noritake displays.
  1. How did you connect the display with your device
  • USB->Serial adapter
  1. What did you use the display for?
  • tested w/custom MCU and finally installed in HTPC (media center) for status display
  1. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?
  • PIC32MX for testing, Windows7
  1. What type of commands would you like to see?
  • Command set is fine for my needs so far.

tbloedel  Apr 25, 2014

Please provide us with the following feedback:

• Having only used the smaller Noritake VFDs in the past, I did not realize initially that it required *2* power sources (5V and 24V), and assumed it was probably one or the other.  Once I realized that, it worked flawlessly.
  • Initially, with direct serial connection to PC, to evaluate using the Noritake GUD-10K software.
  • Testing as a logging display for an commercial communication system.
  • Initially, direct PC connection (using Windows w/ GUD-10K) then later with linux-based script (ARM6-based dev board)
  • The command set is actually quite well-developed, but it could be very handy to have a "terminal mode" which could act as a direct serial display.

prophead100  Apr 25, 2014
  1. Did you have problem getting started with the module? Tracking down the right connectors and ensuring the right voltage shift on the serial input and took a little time
  2. How did you connect the display with your device - I connected it with a serial connection
  3. What did you use the display for? To display multiple instrument readouts
  4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use? I connected it with the Parallax propeller and BasicStamp
  5. What type of commands would you like to see? Not sure,  perhaps the option to emulate other standard commands to match the smaller VFDs

znm  Apr 25, 2014
  1. Did you have problem getting started with the module?   I did not know I would need 24v. Other than that, it was similar to using other Noritake VFDs. More example code would be nice.
  2. How did you connect the display with your device?   Serial connection
  3. What did you use the display for?   Prototype monitoring system
  4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?   TI MSP430
  5. What type of commands would you like to see?   The command set suits my needs. As someone else commented, it might be handy to have a 'dumb terminal' serial mode.

firehopper  Apr 25, 2014
  • 1. Did you have problem getting started with the module?
it took a while to wait for parts to connect it.. (power booster and connectors)
  • 2. How did you connect the display with your device
Serial
  • 3. What did you use the display for?
status display for a 3d printer
  • 4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?
udoo, so imx and sam3x (due)
  • 5. What type of commands would you like to see?

more arduino ide examples would be nice, along with examples for parallel port use as well..

Abecedarian  Apr 26, 2014
  1. Did you have problem getting started with the module? Other than locating proper connectors and the 24v supply, no real problems.
  2. How did you connect the display with your device? Serial.
  3. What did you use the display for? It's intent is as a dashboard display for a motorcycle but it's still in development.
  4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use? TI MSP430 / TM4C123G.
  5. What type of commands would you like to see? No suggestions at this time.

k  Apr 26, 2014
Did you have problem getting started with the module?

Connector issue----
 Serial Connector
    2.5mm P  7 pins

MAKE:JST

Housing
     TYPE:XHP-7

Contacts
    TYPE :SXH-002H-P0.6

Noritake :RS-232 DE-9 to 7 pin Kit

Only [confused] 5V power supply--This display needs 24V supply cable

http://noritake-vfd.com/sck-ca07pw06-n1.asp

azer  Apr 26, 2014

How did you connect the display with your device?    serial

What did you use the display for?   prototype for multichannel electronic load

Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?     psoc 5lp

What type of commands would you like to see?   ditto the:  
"The command set is actually quite well-developed, but it could be very handy to have a "terminal mode" which could act as a direct serial display."

but I haven't yet come to a point where it'd really have me fantasizing about it.

>>>>> I find this forum software to be far more painful to use than the module.

znm  Apr 26, 2014
[QUOTE=azer]
>>>>> I find this forum software to be far more painful to use than the module.[/QUOTE]

Why?

chipmikro  Apr 26, 2014
  1. Did you have problem getting started with the module? Finding the proper connector was difficult. Other than that, no problems.
  2. How did you connect the display with your device? Serial.
  3. What did you use the display for? Security alarm system for home use.
  4. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use? TI MSP430.
  5. What type of commands would you like to see? No suggestions.

srpsco  Apr 26, 2014
!) Getting the right connector and sorting the power needs - the documentation was a little sparse on this part compared to some others.
2) Serial
3) Dashboard notification system
4) Arduino, but considering moving it to a raspberry pi or beagle bone black
5) I didn't find anything missing.

mike  Apr 26, 2014
  • No issues here, I have an existing commercial library for the GU256X128E-3900 series which only need minor modifications.
How did you connect the display with your device?
  • Via the parallel interface using the DMA interface.
What did you use the display for?
  • Evaluation purposes for customers using similar technology.
Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?Ti-28335 , SHARC and Blackin DSP's, NXP Cortex M3 What type of commands would you like to see?
  • I always use the direct memory image modes so no extra commands required. The display is quite responsive , in this demo I had to add a long artificial delay between frames and its still too fast [smile] [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jynGGZcqr5I[/video]

steve1515  Apr 27, 2014
    Did you have problem getting started with the module? - No, just need the connector.

How did you connect the display with your device - Serial

What did you use the display for? - Prototyping - Large Clock/Messages

Which processor/MCU/OS did you use? Arduino and AVR standalone

What type of commands would you like to see? - Some kind of font importer. ttf files to code generator with font scaling/editing abilities.

marzec309  Apr 28, 2014
          yes, couldn't get the display to respond at all. Display was non-functional.
  1. How did you connect the display with your device
        RS232/ttl level converter.
  1. What did you use the display for?
        Was going to integrate into a network status display.
  1. Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?
         Parallax propeller / Noritake software.
  1. What type of commands would you like to see?

??? couldn't get that far with display.

glitchworks  Apr 29, 2014
1) Same problem as everyone else: connectors!
2) Initially I used a RS232 converter with a Linux box, final application will be implemented with the USART on a PIC18 series MCU
3) CTF hacking challenge "waypoint"
4) Perl + Linux initially, will probably offload display management to a PIC for the final version
5) Built-in textmode would be incredibly useful, especially if text entry just placed bitmaps in display RAM. Invert/normal overlay on display RAM would be very cool.

mike  May 06, 2014
Here's another video of the SCK-3900-512x32H-01, this time being driven from a controller that's more along the lines of what others have been testing here, the 8-bit AVR Atmega32u4. It's configured to receive information from a wireless joystick which is what I'm testing here:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l_9qzJfjEk[/video]

This is using the parallel interface with all font and graphic data being generated on the fly from the onboard flash on the Atmega32u4. The frame rates aren't spectacular but keep in mind this is a $4 8-bit MPU, an $8 ARM Cortex M3 gives nearly 10x performance when using it's external memory interface. If the built-in Noritake commands aren't sufficient for your purpose the parallel DMA interface bypasses them altogether allowing any sort of graphic routines to be realized.

sertsa  May 30, 2014
Hmm, this slipped under the radar.  I did manage to get the display going.

Similar problems as others, connectors had to be worked around, did not have a 24V supply, but managed to scrounge one up.

How did you connect the display with your device
serial

What did you use the display for?
This coincided with experimenting with an RTL_SDR dongle.  Used display to show info for nearby aircraft via ADSB.  Also used as display for OS load, temp, incoming email, build time for long compiles, etc

Which processor/MCU/OS did you use?
Linux PC, have plans to drive with Arduino as stand alone display but have not got to it yet

What type of commands would you like to see?
like the idea of using as a dumb termianl serial mode would be useful, more examples as well, perhaps ability to address at pixel level

wickerman  Jul 08, 2014

Found (a kind of) DMA mode in GU-3xxx spec.
Writing speed may be faster..
I have not tried it yet though.
5.DMA-mode.JPG 5.3DMA-protcol.JPG 5.4DMA-commands.JPG 5.4DMA-memory.JPG